Cheltenham Bowling Club was conceived in 1883. Its first home was in the Winter Gardens moving to Suffolk Square in 1917. Ashburne Bowling Green is named after Lt Col F J Ashburner who donated the land and the Unwin Pavilion after a second benefactor Mr H Unwin.
The original pavilion was destroyed by fire in 1955, and replaced by the present pavilion.
The Club was one of the six founding members of Gloucestershire Bowling Association in 1905, and is justly proud of its 6 International bowlers since 1914.
Ladies were admitted as Full Members to the Club in 2001.
For a pictorial account of our history visit our photo archive.